Teacher Certification and Master of Education in Urban Teaching
Are you interested in becoming a middle or high school teacher? Are you looking for a program that sets you on a path for teacher certification and a master’s degree? Our combined Teacher Certification Program [TCP] and Master of Education in Urban Teaching [M.Ed.] is for you.
This one-of-a-kind program is offered by the Providence College Schools of Continuing Education and Professional Studies. It provides an alternative path to secondary grades certification and focuses on preparing teachers to succeed in diverse, urban classrooms. In other words, it’s real preparation for real classrooms — those with the most need.
The TCP/M.Ed. will provide you with:
- Certification to teach secondary (grades 7 – 12) Biology, Chemistry, English, Mathematics, Physics and Social Studies (with completion of course work, clinical experiences in the school setting, student teaching and successful completion of certification exams – view the complete curriculum below for details)
- Preparation to teach students of diverse backgrounds and in urban communities where teachers are most needed
- The specialized skills and methods necessary to help reduce the achievement gap in urban schools
- A part-time, flexible course schedule, with courses offered year-round in the late afternoon or evening, as well as online
- Expert faculty with extensive classroom and administrative experience, including current and former teachers, principals and superintendents
- A small, close-knit community of other motivated adult learners like yourself in a small class environment
- Personal attention and advising before you begin, throughout the program, and after you’ve achieved certification. TCP Coordinator Dr. Katherine Hibbard brings over 35 years of teaching experience as well as experience as a college certification officer and can guide you through the ins and outs of Rhode Island’s teacher certification process.
- Surprisingly affordable tuition that’s less than most state schools in the region with financial aid.
- Program from a prestigious institution – Providence College has repeatedly been named the top regional university in the northern U.S. by U.S. News and World Report.
- The ability to teach in 46 states; the TCP is approved by the Rhode Island Department of Education for full initial certification and can be used (through reciprocity) to achieve certification/licensure in at least 45 other states.
Meet with Dr. Hibbard
The TCP + Urban Teaching M.Ed. Curriculum
Our curriculum addresses the biggest challenges in today’s urban high school classroom. You’ll learn about classroom management, cultural competency, project-based learning, and strategies to work with students who are English learners among other best practices. We prepare teachers to engage students and help them set and achieve their academic goals.
The curriculum includes:
- Coursework: 42 credits as outlined in the required course list below
- Clinical Experience: 60 hours of experience in school settings prior to student teaching. Our Placement Director works with TCP students to arrange their clinical experiences, which are often completed at one of our partner schools
- Certification Testing: All students seeking certification must complete two Praxis certification tests: he Principles of Learning and Teaching (PLT) test for grades 7-12 and the appropriate content area test.
- Student Teaching: Student teaching is a full-time, 12-week experience in a classroom in grades 7-12, which is often completed in one of our partner schools. It is the final requirement in the Teacher Certification Program. The Clinical Educator (host teacher) and a Providence College faculty member provide supervision and feedback throughout the experience. Weekly seminars are conducted by the faculty member, as well.
- Students register for EDU 455 – Student Teaching in the Secondary School (9 credits/3 courses)**
- EDU 791: Educational Psychology
- EDU 792: Principles of Secondary Education
- EDU 786: The Exceptional Child in the Regular Classroom
- EDU 785: Educational Measurement
- EDU 622: Reading in the Content Area
- EDU 787: Methods Secondary Education
- EDU 455: Student Teaching (9 credits)**
- EDU 661: Culturally Competent Teaching
- EDU 662: Differentiating Instruction for Diverse Urban Learners
- EDU 663: Diversity Seminar
- EDU 664: Capstone: Successful Urban Teaching
- EDU 665: English Applied Linguistics
Total Credits = 42
Explore Our Other Teacher Certification Program Options
Teacher Certification Program (Certification Only)
If you already have a bachelor’s degree, our Teacher Certification Program will provide you with all the education and preparation you need to become certified to teach secondary (grades 7 – 12) Biology, Chemistry, English, Mathematics, Physics or Social Studies in Rhode Island and at least 45 other states.
Learn More about the Teacher Certification Program
Teacher Certification Program and Bachelor’s Degree
If you haven’t yet earned a bachelor’s degree, you may be eligible to earn the degree and then apply into TCP. Our SCE and TCP advisers can help you determine which degree program would best suit your needs and goals. Students are permitted to take the first two Education courses while working on the bachelor’s degree.
Learn More about the Teacher Certification Program
Combined Teacher Certification and Mathematics Master of Education
Are you interested in becoming a middle or high school teacher and sharing your love of mathematics? Do you already have a bachelor’s degree or strong background in mathematics? Our combined Teacher Certification Program (TCP) and Mathematics Master of Education (M.Ed.) program provides a path to secondary grades certification while developing your advanced math skills in this high-demand subject area.
Learn More about the combined Teacher Certification and Mathematics Master of Education
The Rhode Island Credential Review Consortium Pathway to Certification
Individuals who’ve successfully taught in grades 7 – 12 for a minimum of two years may qualify for this alternative route to teaching certification in Rhode Island. PC SCE will assist qualified individuals in pursuing this option.