Social Science Degree
Bachelor’s Degree in Social Science
Those who study Social Science are often driven not just by professional goals, but personal ideals – a yearning to make the world a better place. Our Bachelor of Arts (BA) in Social Science allows you to customize your study to your individual goals for serving and improving society while also setting you up for professional success.
Why Get a Social Science Degree at SCE?
A Flexible Plan of Study for Careers That Serve Society
Whether you’re pursuing a career as a teacher or social worker, a lawyer or legislator, an economist or journalist, a city manager or urban planner – a degree in Social Science paves the way for success.
Our program allows you to combine courses from any two or three of the following social science areas depending on your individual passions and career plans: economics, history, political science, psychology, and sociology. The major requires a minimum of nine courses selected from these areas, with at least three concentrated in one area. In addition to the 12 social science courses, the major also includes 14 free elective courses. This allows you to widen your breadth of study while also deepening your study in a particular area to suit your individual career goals.
A Program That Allows You to Plan Your Own Path
Our Social Science degree program begins with a cornerstone course in which you will create your own educational plan and determine the focus of your studies. The program culminates with a capstone course that brings together everything you’ve learned through a self-designed capstone project, which is tailored to also serve as professional development.
A Distinctive Core Curriculum That Provides A Solid Foundation for The Social Sciences
You will benefit from the valuable knowledge and soft skills gained from Providence College’s distinctive core curriculum. It is the heart of the liberal arts education for which Providence College is well known. These 14 courses are designed to teach you how to question assumptions, think critically and communicate effectively. You’ll gain a new understanding and appreciation for the complexities of the world and your role in it. These are qualities that are essential to a career in the social sciences.
A Surprisingly Affordable, Uniquely Flexible and Supportive Adult Education Program
- Study at your own pace and on a schedule that works for you, with classes offered online, in the evenings and on weekends
- Our tuition is less than most state schools in the region, at $360 per credit. Plus, we offer financial aid, scholarships and payment plans
- We allow you to transfer up to 75 credits from prior education, so you can finish even faster (and at a reduced cost)
- We also award credit for military experience and qualifying prior work or life experience
- Our small classes are led by faculty who understand and accommodate the needs of working adults
- Our advisers help you get started and are always available to support you along the way
- You’ll graduate with a degree from Providence College, a prestigious institution that has been repeatedly named the top regional university in the northern United States by U.S. News and World Report
- See all the ways PC makes it possible for adults to earn a degree and reach their professional and personal goals