Commencement Frequently Asked Questions

How do I apply for graduation?

Submit the SCE Intent to Graduate form and fee payment to the SCE office by the deadline below.

Once we receive your form and payment, we will run your Graduation Audit Summary and mail it to you. Please allow several weeks.

December (Fall ) graduation: by October 1 December graduates may participate in the May Commencement of the following year.

May (Spring) graduation: by February 1

NOTE: You may have no more than six credits outstanding in order to be a May graduate and to participate in Commencement. See “Diploma Hold” below.

How do I order my cap and gown?

  • After you have received your Graduation Audit Summary by mail from SCE, you may order your cap and gown. If you did not order your cap and gown online from specified vendor by the April 7 deadline, call the SCE office at 401.865.2487 by April 20 to place your order. 

Are there special arrangements at Commencement for persons with disabilities?

  • Reserved sections for persons with disabilities will be available at the Dunkin’ Donuts Center at Commencement.
  • Only one escort is permitted to remain with a special needs guest or guest seated in a wheelchair. Fire laws are strictly enforced and do not permit wheelchairs in the aisles.
  • For more information, contact College Events, at 401.865.2344 or

What are the requirements to graduate with honors?

  • To qualify for honors at graduation, a student must complete the last 57 credit hours toward the degree at Providence College.
  • According to the excellence of one’s work, a student may graduate with the distinction cum laude, magna cum laude, or summa cum laude as indicated below, for students admitted after September 1, 2002:

Honors DesignationCumulative Grade Point Average (GPA)Cum Laude3.550 – 3.699Magna Cum Laude3.700 – 3.849Summa Cum Laude 3.850 – 4.000

  • The cumulative grade point average is determined by dividing the total number of quality grade points earned by the total number of credit hours attempted.
  • Recognition is also given to students who achieve the highest grade point average in their respective concentrations.

When will I receive my diploma?

  • Diplomas are released only to those graduates who have successfully satisfied their degree requirements and fulfilled their financial commitments to the college.
  • May graduates who fulfill all of the above requirements and who participate in Commencement, will receive their diplomas at the Commencement.
  • May graduates who fulfill all of the above requirements and do not attend Commencement will be contacted by PC’s Office of Enrollment Services to have their diploma picked up or mailed or mailed to them.
  • December graduates who fulfill all of the above requirements will receive their diplomas in mid-January of the following year. You will be contacted by PC’s Office of Enrollment Services to have the diploma picked up or mailed to you.

How do I receive my diploma if I am a “diploma hold”?

If you participate in Commencement and have not met all degree requirements, your diploma will be held and degree will not be conferred until you have completed these requirements. After you have completed your required course(s), notify the SCE office. Once we verify that you have met have your degree requirements and your financial commitments to the college, the PC Office of Enrollment Services will contact you to release your diploma.

How do I change my name on my diploma?

You must provide a copy of a legal document (driver’s license, marriage certificate, or birth certificate) to the SCE office.

If you have further questions, contact the SCE office at 401.865.2487 or